Thursday, February 23, 2012

So what is TJEd?

So you may be asking yourself...What is TJED?

I would venture to say that it is a much more free, child friendly way of learning at age appropriate times. Working as a coach in a high school I see the effects of the children going through the "conveyer belt" of education and I am not impressed. Now don;t get me wrong. I feel teachers are doing what they can but there are now many more preasures in education than before which dictates students classes curriculum and more. Students come in as happy freshman children and many of them leave high school looking tired, depressed and unsure of what to do with their lives. I do not want this future for my children so after a year of trying different homeschooling ideas I finnaly decided to trust the TJEd philosophy and have been enjoying it ever since.

Granted there are ups and downs but there are also ups and downs in the public school system. My ups and downs are under my control and are up to me and only me. No administration or teacher dictating what my child can or can not do. THomas Jefferson Education is an education center on the concept of creating leaders of the future who are confident and not affraid to walk their own walk. TJEd uses the following as the foundation blocks of a childs education.


7 Keys of Great Teaching
There are seven principles of successful education. When they are applied, learning occurs for any learning style or interests. When they are ignored or rejected, the quantity and quality of education decreases.
keyinkeyhole2
  1. Classics, Not Textbooks
  2. Mentors, Not Professors
  3. Inspire, Not Require
  4. Structure Time, Not Content
  5. Simplicity, Not Complexity
  6. Quality, Not Conformity
  7. You, Not Them


If you are interested in learning more visit tjed.org
and take a look around. I will admit that I read over this with my husband almost two years ago and we thaught it was a little radical but after trying both a shool at home model (work sheet and text books) and unschooling this started to make sence.

No comments:

Post a Comment